Cog Icon signifying link to Admin page

Launcells Parish Council

Minutes July 2023

Thursday 3rd July 2023

The meeting of Launcells Parish Council was held on the above date at 7:30pm, in Launcells Parish Hall.

Councillors Present:

Chairman Cllr Hargreaves, Vice-Chair Cllr Allin, Cllr Cleave, Cllr Pollard, Cllr Whittle, Cllr Stokes, Cllr Wingard, Cllr Tape.

Also in attendance: Clerk Julie Gray.

3 members of the public were present for the meeting.

Cllr Hargreaves opened the meeting and welcomed everyone.

Record of Apologies.


Cllr Elliott could not make the meeting and sent his apologies.

Confirm the Minutes of the previous Meeting.


It was resolved to approve the minutes and ratify all decisions made at the meeting held on Monday 5th June 2023. Proposed Cllr Whittle. Seconded Cllr Cleave. 7 in favour. 1 abstained, due to not being present at the previous meeting. The Chair, Cllr Hargreaves, signed them as a correct record.



  1. There were no Declarations.



  1. There were no dispensation requests.

Matters Arising.


  1. None.

Report from Councillor Chopak.


Cllr Chopak sent her apologies.

Public Participation.


A member of the public spoke in support of Agenda Item 9b)(i) Planning. A senior spokesman and a member of staff of Glendinnings both spoke to explain the application, and a neighbouring parishioner commented on the application.


07.23/172: – all correspondence circulated via email.

  1. NALC Newsletter.
  2. Chief Executive’s Bulletin.
  3. Town & Parish Council Newsletter.
  4. Town & Parish Council Bulletin: Armed Forces Day.
  5. NKCH Slides.
  6. Chief Executive’s Bulletin.
  7. Keeping Cornwall Updated.
  8. Ocean Housing Survey.
  9. Info: New CLO for Bude & Camelford CAP.
  10. Bude Go Cornwall Roadshow.
  11. Chief Executive’s Bulletin.



  1. Decision Notices/Updates:
    1. PA23/02645 | Continued use of land as residential garden and use of stables and tack room for domestic storage purposes. | Springleaze Bridgerule Holsworthy Cornwall EX22 7HB.
      APPROVED with conditions. The detached domestic storage buildings shall only be used for purposes incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house as such known as Springleaze and shall not be used, sold or let as a separate residential unit of accommodation.
    2. PA23/02235 | Change of use of land from agricultural to a mixed use for both equestrian and agricultural purposes to allow the grazing of horses alongside sheep, erection of timber stable block comprising three no. stables and tack room, and erection of agricultural barn for implement and fodder storage with concrete yard and 12kw photovoltaic array on roof. | Cann Orchard Stratton Bude Cornwall EX23 9TD.
      APPROVED with conditions. The equestrian use and stable shall be for private and personal purposes only and not for any commercial riding, livery or other business use.
  2. Planning Applications/Appeals:
    Any late planning applications received will be discussed but not decided under this section.
    1. PA23/03567 | Extension of the footprint of the spoil tip by 0.5ha on an area of land immediately to the south of the existing tip to provide more void space for spoil. Proposed attenuation pond to receive surface water run-off flowing into the perimeter drainage ditches from the newly created landform once tipping is complete. | Pigsdon Quarry Spoil Tip Land North East Of Lower Lopthorne Farm Launcellsex239lh Bude Cornwall EX23 9LH.
      Launcells unanimously support the application.
      Proposed Cllr Tape. Seconded Cllr Cleave.

To receive oral or written reports and authorise any action.


  1. Chairman.
    The defibrillator training day was well attended – there was approximately twelve attendees in the first session and six in the second. It was suggested that a thank you email be sent to the trainer, as they were very helpful.
    Cllr Whittle has received an email recalling the defibrillator at Red Post. Cllr Whittle will request that a notice be put in the Parish Council magazine and he will put a notice in the defibrillator box. Cllr Whittle has been informed that it will be returned after approximately three days.
    Cllr Wingard attended the Bude & Camelford Community Area Partnership (CAP) meeting – it was well attended.
    The Clerk has received the action notes from the meeting – there is a request for volunteers for the working groups re highways, due to left over budget money and the Levelling Up Funding workshop. Cllr Whittle has volunteered. The meetings will be held in Crackington Haven on the second Monday of the relevant month. The Clerk will circulate the email,
    The Parish Council received a thank you card for undertaking the bus stop light installation, as it has been very beneficial to those waiting and it will be extremely welcome in the winter.
  2. The Clerk.
    The Clerk reminded the Councillors of the free training planning refresher course that is being held online on the 11th.
    The finance check paperwork will be supplied to Cllr Whittle today for the quarterly check.
    The audit paperwork has been sent to the external auditor and published on the website.
    The Clerk has added a tab entitled Annual Parish Meeting to the Parish Council website. The draft minutes and reports that were supplied to the Clerk have been uploaded.
    The advert for the Parish Council vacancy has been advertised on the website. Cllr Tape will put the notice up in the noticeboard. Cllr Whittle’s key was returned to the Clerk, who passed it to Cllr Tape in order for Cllr Tape to be able to add notices to the noticeboard. Cllr Tape will obtain a copy for the key.
    The Clerk has received a request asking if the defibrillators are registered on The Circuit. Cllr Whittle stated it was registered and when it was with the NHS he used to receive regular emails but he has received nothing for some time. The Clerk will try to determine if Launcells defibrillators are still registered.
    The Tamara Landscape Partnership sent an update on the planned launch of the Tamara Coast to Coast Way (a new long distance walking route) in the week of July 10th. They are hoping to encourage walkers to join their two Tamara staff members who will be walking the whole route during that week. There was an itinerary that the Clerk will upload on the Parish Council website and contact details if people wish to join for a short stretch etc.
    NALC's partners, GoCollaborate, are offering free online consultation and engagement tool demonstrations. It is a half-hour session on 20 July 2023 at 11 am or 2 pm to see and discuss how their tool can be used to gain high-quality community feedback. The Clerk will also supply this information to the North Kernow Housing Team, as it may be useful to them.
    On 6th June 2024 it will be the 80th anniversary of D-Day. NALC is urging all councils to support this event and they are working with the Pageantmaster, who leads these historical celebrations and will provide more information in the coming months. The Clerk will forward any information to the History Club.
    There is a survey on ‘Integrated Care Strategy: Have Your Say’ that the Clerk will circulate to the Councillors.
    There is to be a road closure on the A39 from Old Kilkhampton to Stone Hill between 16th and the 18th August for 24 hours. There is 14 days for any feedback. The Clerk will circulate the email to the Councillors.

Future Meeting dates.


September the 4th will stay as the next meeting and once the Skittle fixture list is out it will be known what dates the Hall will be free.



With regard to Launcells Cross - the family who own the land on the easterly side informed the Parish Council that they emailed Highways back around the 26th May. They are happy to move the hedge back but need Highways to ask/ require whoever owns the pole immediately by the hedge to move it back first. Cllr Allin will speaking to the owner on the western side to remind him to respond as well.

Highways will speak to the Admin staff to see if the email has been received.

Parish Matters.


Cllr Whittle received a call from a parishioner. The planters will not be completed by the parishioner anymore. An advert will be placed in the Parish Magazine for volunteers to undertake the planting.

The stone wall by the planter also needs repairing, the Grimscott gateway sign is slightly misaligned and the playing field is not in a good state and there are many weeds at the entrance.

Cllr Tape will have a look at the sign and the stone wall to see if can affect minor repairs. The field is ongoing due to the state of the ground. A couple of Parishioners and Cllr Allin have kindly helped cut and remove the cuttings off the playing field. The weeds cannot be sprayed with weed killer due to the environmental effect therefore the Parish Council will investigate other ways of destroying the weeds.

Grant Requests.


The Chestnut Appeal for Men’s Health and Air Ambulance requested donations from the Parish Council. The Council will review the budget at the end of the financial year and if there is any surplus, they will consider a donation.



The Clerk circulated the Standing Orders. It was unanimously agreed that there is no change needed.



The Clerk received an email from the Levelling Up Fund that the applications were now open. The Clerk has submitted the expression of interest for the project relating to the Commons.

There are small grants called Magic Little Grants. It is a simple 20-minute application process for a £500 grant and an outcome within six weeks. Funding can be used to launch new projects, support existing ones, or cover core costs associated with ongoing work. This may be useful for the Parish Hall or the History Club.

Parish Magazine Contribution.


Next Contributor is Cllr Whittle.

Cllr Whittle will send the list order to the Clerk again.



Cllr Stokes power washed the plaque but the plaque was in such a state it washed off the paint. Cllr Stokes will source some costings for repairs / replacement sign.

Finance & Legislation.


  1. Ratification of payments totalling £2851.98 as per June schedule. It was resolved to authorise the payments. Proposed Cllr Whittle. Seconded Cllr Pollard. Unanimous.
  2. To note Bank reconciliations.
  3. To note Income & Bank Balances as per the schedule and reconciliations.

Urgent Matters raised with the Chairman since the Agenda was published.


A planning application has been received after the agenda was posted with the deadline of 21st July.

It is unanimously proposed that the Clerk draw up a notice to put on the website and in the noticeboard asking for any comments from the public to be emailed to the Clerk. The Councillors will consider the application and email the clerk with their vote before the deadline.

Date of next meeting and note items from Councillors for the Agenda.


Mon 4th Sep 2023


Meeting closed at 8.43pm


During the meeting it may arise that publicity would be prejudicial to the public interest by reason of the confidential or special nature of the business to be transacted and the press and public will be instructed to withdraw.

When this arises, the Chair will recommend to consider passing the following resolution: “to resolve that in view of the confidential or special nature of the business to be discussed, the public are excluded and instructed to withdraw.”

Site Search