Cog Icon signifying link to Admin page

Launcells Parish Council

Minutes June 2023

Thursday 5th June 2023

The meeting of Launcells Parish Council was held on the above date at 7:30pm, in Launcells Parish Hall.

Councillors Present:

Chairman Cllr Hargreaves, Vice-Chair Cllr Allin, Cllr Cleave, Cllr Pollard, Cllr Whittle, Cllr Wingard, Cllr Elliott, Cllr Tape.

Also in attendance: Clerk Julie Gray and Cllr Chopak.

No members of the public were present for the meeting.

Cllr Hargreaves opened the meeting and welcomed everyone.

Record of Apologies.


Cllr Stokes could not make the meeting due to a bee problem and sent his apologies.

Declaration of Resignation – S Minter.


S Minter has resigned from her position as Councillor. A vacancy has been declared and a notice published on the website.

Confirm the Minutes of the previous Meeting.


It was resolved to approve the minutes and ratify all decisions made at the meeting held on Thursday 4th May 2023. Proposed Cllr Whittle. Seconded Cllr Cleave. 7 in favour. 1 abstained, due to not being present at the previous meeting. The Chair, Cllr Hargreaves, signed them as a correct record.



  1. Cllr Hargreaves declared an interest in Agenda 11b)(i): planning application PA23/03261.



  1. There were no dispensation requests.

Matters Arising.


  1. None.

North Kernow Housing Community Trust (NKHCT).


NKHCT have received a grant from the Levelling Up funding, which has enabled them to employ two part-time staff. The next stage is to engage with local parishes. The Trust wishes to hold an event in Launcells to create a Community Housing Action Team with 5 – 7 members. They are hoping to have one in each Parish that consists of local people and landowners, member of the Parish Council, businesses and anyone that is interested / invested in affordable housing. There will be a small budget of approximately £500 for expenses, such as holding events, advertising etc. They require local people as they will have local knowledge will know who will benefit in the area, can feedback where the community want development or where they do not want any development and what the need is. The Trust will work closely with the Action Team and give lots of support. Any property will be held in perpetuity so cannot be sold off on the open market. 16 households in Launcells are on the Homechoice Register but it has been found that most people do not register due to having no hope they will be able to obtain affordable housing. The Trust encourages people to register as they can in some circumstance take people that are lower down the list.

Report from Councillor Chopak.


The mayor idea that has cost 1.4mil has been scrapped.

Waste and recycling should be placed out before 7am due to changes in rounds. The lorries are being adapted for wheely bins. Everyone will receive a wheely bin that does not live down a track – alternative small trucks will be utilised for those pick-ups. The wheely bin is for landfill and will be collected fortnightly and if the lid does not shut on the bin the householder may be subject to a fine. Everyone will receive a food waste bin, although liners will not be supplied, as it is the householder’s choice whether to have a liner. The food waste will be collected weekly along with the recycling.

Ther Community Area Partnership (CAP) will have their first meeting on the 12th June at Crackington Haven.

Stratton Medical Centre responded to concerns with 'they did not see any problems'. Cllr Verr, from Treliske Hospital, is seeing a marked increase in A&E visits and they will be logging why the person is there - to see if it is because they cannot get into see the GP. K Shield, the CEO of the Integrated Care Board is visiting on the 21st to view the overnight service etc.

Parking charges have now increased and instead of .50p for locals to go to Bude for an hour it is now £2.20. Cllr Chopak and others are lobbying to change this.

Armed Forces Day is coming to Cornwall for the first time and is the weekend of the 23rd in Falmouth.

Cllr Hargreaves thanked Cllr Chopak for the assistance she gives the Parish Council and for her work on behalf of the Community.

Cllr Whittle cannot attend the CAP meeting due to a clash of meetings. Cllr Wingard volunteered to attend.

Public Participation.


There were no members of the public present and none have emailed any query.


06.23/150: – all correspondence circulated via email.

  1. Affordable Housing Newsletter.
  2. Chief Executive’s Bulletin.
  3. Forest For Cornwall Spring Newsletter.
  4. Town & Parish Council Newsletter.
  5. Keeping Cornwall Updated.
  6. Chief Executive’s Bulletin.
  7. Chief Executive’s Bulletin.
  8. Public Spaces Protection Order Consultation.
  9. 2023 Off Street Parking Order.



  1. Decision Notices/Updates:
    1. None.
  2. Planning Applications/Appeals:
    Any late planning applications received will be discussed but not decided under this section.

    *Cllr Hargreaves left the room and Vice-chair Cllr Allin took over the meeting*
    1. PA23/03261 | Proposed replacement of the existing garage and entrance porches, with a new garage and connected entrance cloister | Prustacott House Prustacott Road Launcells Bude Cornwall EX23 9NH.
      Launcells Parish Council unanimously support the application.
      Proposed Cllr Allin. Seconded Cllr Tape.
    2. *Cllr Hargreaves returned to the room and took over the meeting again*

To receive oral or written reports and authorise any action.


  1. Chairman.
    The Chair had nothing to report.
  2. The Clerk.
    Reports received from local groups have been uploaded to the website.
    The footpaths are due to be cut this month. The budget is £130 and previous contractors have been over double. The Clerk enquired of Marhamchurch Parish Council’s contractor, who has agreed to undertake the work for the budgeted amount. The Cllrs were agreeable to this arrangement.
    Upon consideration the Clerk cannot attend Friday evening meetings if they are moved due to a forgotten prior arrangement that starts in September. The Council will consider an alternative day.

Hersham Bus Stop Funding.


The Parish Council has been asked if they can be the organisation that a community group apply through for funding to improve the Hersham bus stop. 

The Council is happy for the group to do this. Proposed Cllr Pollard. Seconded Cllr Tape. Unanimous.



Due to the zip wire, it was found that the Parish Council was not eligible for the reduced rate of insurance therefore the original renewal was accepted.



The Clerk attempted to make voluntary contributions from Launcells salary with her other Parish Council pension provider but this is not permitted unless the Parish Council is registered. It was proposed to permit the Clerk to register the Parish Council in order to make voluntary contributions.

Proposed Cllr Wingard. Seconded Cllr Tape. Unanimous



Cllr Chopak informed the Council that Highways have written to the landowners at Launcells Cross and are awaiting a reply. Cllr Allin will chase up responses.

Cllr Whittle suggested a thank you to Oliver Jones, from Highways, for his assistance in the bus stop lighting issue and the speed reduction project.



  1. Certificate of Exemption.
    It was resolved that the income and expenditure was agreed and the Parish Council will comply with publication requirements. Proposed Cllr Whittle. Seconded Cllr Pollard. Unanimous. The Certificate was signed by the Clerk and Cllr Hargreaves.



Upon reviewing the policies, the Clerk could not find the Standing Orders.

Cllr Whittle has a copy and will forward to the Clerk and they will be put forward for a review next month.



The Clerk received an email from the Community Levelling Up Fund that will let the Clerk know when the applications for funding reopen.

There is a new £4.6m pot of funding for rural communities.

Examples of schemes that can apply for funding of £200,000 up to £1m include:

  • Development or improvements to local nature trails, information boards and visitor centres that encourage tourists to visit outside of the normal peak summer season
  • Increasing accessibility and use of green and blue spaces such as community gardens, watercourses and footpaths
  • Restoration, refurbishment or improvement of cultural, historic, natural and heritage assets and sites
  • Active travel infrastructure, such as cycling and walking routes, in rural and remote communities, that link to existing networks and public transport.

The deadline is 24 of July 2023. Successful applicants will have until the end of March 2025 to complete their projects.

The CIL funding is open until 22nd June also.

Cllr Tape stated there is a need for a new mower to cut the playpark.

Cllr Wingard believed there could be footpath refurbishment that could link to Bude. Cllr Wingard will consider the matter further as to what needs doing and possible links with other paths.

Cllr Whittle informed the play park committee of the CIL Funding.

Parish Magazine Contribution.


Cllr Stokes has completed a contribution. Cllr Whittle will undertake next month’s contribution.



Cllr Stokes was not in attendance. Deferred until next month.

Finance & Legislation.


  1. Ratification of payments totalling £252.60 as per May schedule. It was resolved to authorise the payments and to ratify the insurance payment made. Proposed Cllr Tape. Seconded Cllr Cleave. Unanimous.
  2. To note Bank reconciliations.
  3. To note Income & Bank Balances as per the schedule and reconciliations.

Urgent Matters raised with the Chairman since the Agenda was published.


There is a bee’s nest on the Commons and a parishioner walking with their dog were covered in bees after the dog interfered with the nest, but thankfully they were not stung.

Cllr Hargreaves will contact Cllr Stokes and have a look at the nest and consider how to move it.

Cllr Tape thanked Cllr Pollard for cutting the grass but it is now too high for the mower. Cllr Hargreaves has a brush cutter that may cut low enough for the mower to be of use. Cllr Tape will look at the cutter to see if suitable.

Cllr Cleave pointed out that the Red Post sign is covered by the grass. Cllr Tape kindly cut the top off the grass as he was passing. The Council’s ‘No Mow May’ may be responsible and Cllr Chopak will make a note of this.

Date of next meeting and note items from Councillors for the Agenda.


Monday 3rd July 2023

Meeting closed at 8.45 pm

Standing orders – policy


During the meeting it may arise that publicity would be prejudicial to the public interest by reason of the confidential or special nature of the business to be transacted and the press and public will be instructed to withdraw.

When this arises, the Chair will recommend to consider passing the following resolution: “to resolve that in view of the confidential or special nature of the business to be discussed, the public are excluded and instructed to withdraw.”

Site Search